I emailed the agent about the apartment today. I had some questions regarding doors on the rooms and some other minor things. I also asked her if she thought the owner would come down with the price a bit and she basically said that there was no room for negotiation. I may have the opportunity to ask again though so I might do that when I see her next.
The apartment doesn't free up until April or May and they want a downpayment if I'm interested. I asked her what percentage I'd lose if something happened between now and April and she said 100%.
A lot can happen between now and April, it's 4 months away.
I don't know what could possibly happen between now and April that might deter me wanting to get my own place. I am afraid of something coming up around the bf of course, like him asking me to marry him or realizing how much I mean to him and deciding that he suddenly wants to get down and start a family, but even then, would those be reason enough to compromise my own sanity/happiness? I don't think it will happen and I don't think it would deter me from wanting my own place. I also don't think it would be fair of him to drop that kind of thing when I make the decision to move out, not to mention dumb of me to accept.
I think more than anything the down payment scares me because it is forcing me into a decision right away; and while I see all these reasons why it could be a problem, I also realize that it's just me feeling scared and not so much the downpayment that's the problem. The down payment is just what I need to force me into the decision.
I'll be seeing the apartment again on Monday, and I think at that point I'll ask her how much time I have to think about it.